Thursday, December 13, 2007

Weed Shoot (No, not that kind)

Last night, once again, I found myself dreaming with a camera in my hand. For a few weeks now, I had been meaning to shoot these weeds, on the corner of a busy suburban intersection. I stop at this intersection everyday, sometimes more than once. The shape and outline of these ugly-beautiful structures against the sky, and their interesting details kept calling to me. In my dreams, I figured out where to park and how to navigate to the corner, and put my camera up to the sky.

Of course that meant that this morning I had to get up and go out. I woke to dark skies and cold drizzle. My only consolation was that my parking location had a 7-Eleven where I could run the heat in the car for a bit and get a diet coke.

I'm finding, more and more, that shooting in our current grey weather environment produces an interesting feel to the shots. While these shots are not exactly what I want them to be, they are damn close.

Shooting in Aperture Priority Mode, wide open. I did some very minimal post-processing to adjust the levels, and darken the highlights in a couple of them.


















The second to the last one, in the series above, is my fave. I had another close up, similar to the last one, that I really liked, but it just does not have quite the right focus. But the composition is just oh so sweet, IMO.



As a bonus, I got a shot of the evergreen, back in the parking lot, with some bokeh from the car head and tail lights at the intersection. I'm just a slut for bokeh. Heh.



Oh, and another storm drain for my budding collection.



Here are a couple showing my *location*. Don't you just love all the photography jargon I'm throwing around now that I have real equipment. : )






I was standing on that hillside, to the left of the fence, and was just imagining myself tripping (in my ridiculous choice of footwear for such an expedition -- crocs) and rolling down into the traffic. What a spectacular way to go out, right?

2 comments:

Sandie said...

I really like the last one before you started writing!

The whole series is nice. I agree the light and shadows of fall create interesting pictures.

MaryD said...

The weed shots are AMAZING. I'm jealous of your new camera as well as your artistic eye and mind!