Monday, December 31, 2007

My Favorite Tree with My Favorite Lens

Last night, restless and wanting more camera time, I had the idea to go out and take a night picture of my favorite tree, near a local shopping center, with the 50 mm. It's not a super big tree, but it has so much character and just sits stoicly with all the retail and activity around it.

Boogieman drove and we listened to all the sports talk radio after the big Redsksins victory over Dallas. We first drove to Lake Whetstone, to scope out how to get shots of the lights reflected in the lake. Those shots are too blurry, even with the 50 mm, and I want to re-do those when my tripod gets here.

I want to re-do this tree shot too, to get it more crisp, but it is a cool enough shot for me to post here, and then compare later when I get the tripod. I actaully wanted to shoot it from the other side, the view that I'm most familiar with, but Boogieman insisted on driving around to the *closer* parking lot. Much bickering ensued until I looked out the car window and saw the perspective of the tree atop the slope with a light to its right. I shut up and apologized.

I love how eerie the night shots with the 50 mm are.

This shot is unprocessed:


f/1.5, 1/2 SEC, 50 MM, ISO-800

Here is a version post-processed with auto levels, contrast, and color; and then shadows lightened and mid-tone contrast boosted:



I can't wait to try it again with the tripod.

Location: Montgomery Village Shopping Center
Time: 8:30 PM

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Tripod makes a major difference. In mine, anyway. My brother gave me a nice one for my birthday before Christmas. I like the look of this shot though, it does have an eerie, almost other-worldly quality.

nimiecat said...

That tree is awesome! Just beautiful shots. The 2nd almost looks like a painting.