Monday, December 3, 2007

Landscape vs. Portrait

Fully intending, after meandering and shooting for a while, to go home, I crested a hill and saw this alternate view of Red Barn 108. I passed it, deliberated, and then turned around and went back. I really should have driven the Jeep instead of the Caravan, considering the places that I was pulling over to get these shots. Next time, Jeep.

Unintentionally, I ended up with a landscape and portrait shot of each. I tend to shoot vertically, and I guess I was trying to make sure I tried both compositions.

Do you find you have a preference for horizontal or vertical shooting? I like the vertical composition best for all three of these sets below (not that I dislike the horizontal, it's a close call). which do you prefer?

For the first four shots, I was using the landscape program mode, and for the last two, I was shooting in aperture priority mode, wide open.


f/5.6, 1/100 SEC, 53 MM, ISO-100
Post-processing: None


f/5.6, 1/80 SEC, 56 MM, ISO-100
Post-processing: None

I also grabbed some shots of the cornfields.


f/6.3, 1/100 SEC, 60 MM, ISO-100
Post-processing: auto levels, darken highlights


f/5.6, 1/80 SEC, 60 MM, ISO-100
Post-processing: auto levels, darken highlights, cropped

And, finally, I could not resist shooting up through these grass stalks to see what kind of shot it might create.


f/4.5, 1/1250 SEC, 53 MM, ISO-400
Post-processing: None


f/3.5, 1/1600 SEC, 28 MM, ISO-400
Post-processing: None

1 comment:

Sandie said...

I tend to like vertical too, however on the first set I like the horizontal one a little better. I really, like the vertical on the last set. It is a great shot.