Saturday, December 8, 2007

Recently, The Digital Photography School Blog suggested picking a theme to inspire your photography:

We most improve our photography by making pictures. The more we make, the better we learn to see the world around us. But sometimes it can be hard to think of what to photograph.

Digital cameras have practically zero running costs. You can take twenty pictures of a subject, exploring different angles, then pick out exactly the one you like best and delete the rest, which costs only your time.

One easy way to motivate myself to make more pictures is to follow an ongoing theme. A theme that’s always there, in the back of my mind, encouraging me to get a camera out, at any time, in any place. It also helps that I’m never without a small point-and-shoot camera. I regard it as a kind of artist’s sketchbook. As for the theme, you can choose anything you like that’s general enough to generate an endless supply of chances to explore it. It could be your favourite colour, or parts of cars, or food, or neon signs. Whatever it is, make sure you really like it.


I really like this idea, and am even tempted to steal the idea of photographing threes, as the author does. And I may still. But, just recently I realized that there is one theme that lures me over and over again: windows. I enjoy the outlines of windows, the frames of windows, and what is seen through windows. They almost always involve shooting in natural light, unless at night, and to me, they always evoke a mood. You can just picture the person there, looking through window, seeing what you, the viewer of the shot sees, and maybe even feeling the same things -- it creates a sense of connection.

If you decide to use this idea, and pick a theme, please leave me a comment and tell me what you choose.

I already have a few window shots to start my collection.

2 comments:

Sandie said...

Right now I am kind of working on an Advent theme on my ponderings blog, but I am glad you linked to this page it has some great information that I can't wait to explore.

Sharon said...

That's what I so love about digital...room to explore and experiment without the guilt over wasting film :)