Monday, December 3, 2007

Red Barn 108

I woke up early Sunday morning, to get out in the early dawn light. Sadly, I had to wake up my girl to go with me, since she needed to be dropped off at the barn for a horse show. We got out the door, both of us grumpy and needing caffeine. Surprisingly, she did not give me too hard a time as I took many, many shots of this barn. I'm calling it Red Barn 108, because I hope to shoot more red barns, and the road number is a way to identify it.

I'm pleased with the close shots, but the landscapes still have the problem of bright sky and dark foreground. I photoshopped it, into layers, but I am not happy with the result. Two things that I must try: first, AE lock, where I meter against the foreground, lock the exposure, and recompose the shot, and second, a graduated filter.





And here's the problem shot, below. I'm going to go back soon, and shoot it again, trying the AE lock. I actually don't dislike the shot, it's just that the sun was illuminating the barn, and I would like to capture that.



On another note, the sky was amazing.



And I got a cool tree shot when I crossed the road to get a different perspective on the barn. I love the cornfield and blue sky in the background.



From there, we headed to 7-Eleven for some blessed caffeine, and a donut for my girl as a thanks for not complaining about all the time she spent waiting in the car. Then we were off to the her barn, for the horse show that she was helping with. Of course, I had to take a few minutes to do some glamor shots of the horses...I ended up shooting all boys, I guess the mares were all off stuffing themselves with hay. : )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.