Friday, December 28, 2007

About all those close up weed shots...

I learned something today, quite by accident (or by my insistance on shooting so many of the same type of shot, whereby I was bound to learn something). I love all these shots, with the different textures and shapes, but it really enhances the shot when you have a background that creates interesting colors or shapes of its own.

Here's an interesting weed:



And here's one with a visually interesting background:



Even this soft focus (ok, blurry) one is interesting because of the color and patterns in the background:



And here are all the rest (they look better larger, but I did not want to take up vast amounts of blog real estate with the images, click through to the enlarged view if you so desire):















Yeah, I am definitely developing a thing for weeds. I think I am going to have to get a weed identification guide or something because you should see the ridiculous names that I have to come up with for the images to differentiate them.

Shooting wide open on the speedy little 50 mm is definitely my current favorite thing to do. I captured the frost on these leaves...



...and then managed to get so much light that the background disappeared! It's interesting that way, like they are just suspended there.



Speaking of frost, I will leave you with this last one -- not a weed!



Notes:

Location - Watkins Mill Road
Time - 9 AM

4 comments:

Sandie said...

VERY cool shots!

Sharon said...

that lens is AWESOME!!!

Unknown said...

The weed with the faded background is amazing! I love that you posted both photos. Really gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Interesting post... Looks like solid state memory is really starting to take off. Hopefully we'll start seeing a drop in solid-state drive prices in the near future. Five dollar 32 gig SDs for your Nintendo DS flash card... imagine that!

(Submitted from ComP for R4i Nintendo DS.)