Thursday, December 27, 2007

Howard Chapel Cemetery

I got up this morning and headed out early to shoot more with my new lens. I had an idea that I wanted to get some shots of this really cool tree that is near some historic houses nearby. On the way there, I stopped and got some shots of a little, red brick Methodist Church that I had been meaning to shoot someday. I also passed the field that I shot for Red Barn 108 and stopped to capture it in the early morning light, with moon shot too. And I found a new road, with lots of fields, barns, and trees to explore the next time I'm out.

After all that, I just drove around, taking random turns and back roads -- it's so fun to try to get lost -- all the while listening to a new mixcd that I had burned the other day to send to a friend. It was quiet and blissful.

It was in that mood, that I happened upon this cemetery, pseudonymous with the road that I was traveling on. I pulled the car over and treaded lightly. As I read the sign and peeked through the trees a feeling of sacredness overcame me. I know that might sound cliched, but there really was a sense of history, time passing, and remembrance of people that came before.





I tiptoed through the leaves and branches, careful not to step too close to any of the markers, even though the grave markers must have shifted through the years. And I wondered about these people and what kinds of lives they led.



























Three of the markers had coins left on top of them. One with a quarter, another with a dime, and another with three pennies. Does anyone know what the significance of the coins is?





I hope these pictures convey something of the feel of this wooded burial ground, now surrounded by houses and fields of horses.

Notes:

Location: Howard Chapel Road
Time: 9 AM

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Hmmm...I know Jewish custom is to leave a pebble to mark a visit. Some people are buried with coins over their eyes to pay their way over the river...and I saw a show about New Orleans once, their is a grave of a voodoo lady, and if you leave an odd number of coins on her stone, it brings good luck. I say all that to say this - I don't have a clue!! LOL, great pics though.

Nicole Rae Studio said...

I just love these shots, Kim. You are making great use of that camera and the new lens. Beautiful perspective and dof.

Scrivener said...

According to this page maintained by the state of SC on symbols associated with African American graveyards, "Objects associated with light--lamps, lampshades, and candlesticks--are also often found on graves in South Carolina. In the 1920s, a scholar recorded seventy-one graves on the South Carolina coast with lamps. According to tradition, items associated with light would help lead the spirit to the spirit world. Also found on graves are beds, favorite possessions of the deceased, and shiny objects like coins and tinfoil."

Ampersand said...

Thanks, Scriv! I was googling, but did not find anything that specific.

The cemetery was so touching, the coins just added to it, knowing that someone placed them there.