Saturday, January 5, 2008

Mallflower

I'm off work today, after about 4 weeks straight of days worked in our store. What I really wanted was to get away from it all, take some pictures, and spend a day to myself.

I intended to go to the woods, with my new tripod, and get some wicked depth-of-field. It was either that, or go to the mall, and play around with some long exposure shots. Boogieman talked me into going to the mall, since he does not really love when I wander the woods alone.

Little did he know that I would have been safer in the woods.

Turns out, you are not supposed to take pictures at the mall. After I had wandered around for about thirty minutes, shooting, here and there, I was approached by mall security.

"You cannot take pictures in the mall."

"Why not?"

"It's mall policy."

"Well, that's an assanine policy."

(Yeah, that part probably did not need to be said.)

The security guy walked away and I thought it would be funny to capture the moment. I'm not sure whether he heard the camera, or if big brother was watching, but he turned around and came back toward me.

"You'll have to give me your camera."

"Umm...no."

"You have to delete the pictures."

"No, I'm not deleting the pictures, but I will leave the mall immediately."

As I walked away, he said into his walkie-talkie, "She's leaving the mall."

Although I was there to practice getting long exposure shots of people movement, you know how I can't resist flower shots, so here's the photographic evidence of my offense.



And here's what I was shooting when I got nabbed.



I deleted the evidence, of the shot of the security guard, in case they come to make a house arrest. It was a good shot though!

Just so you know, I can get why the mall would have this policy. It just annoys me that there are so many places that one can't take pictures these days without it being a security risk. It also annoys me when someone tries to tell me what to do.

I should have gone to the woods...

Cross-posted on Ampersand's Space.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Ok, first of all, we have that SAME plant in our mall, and I have taken pics of it. :) Second of all that royally P****** me off!! Some rent-a-cop tried to pull that same crap on my niece and her husband. This is a comment left on his blog about that:
Mike said...
"I'm a police officer and I ran across your page. I just wanted to let you know that as a fellow amateur photographer I should let you know that you have every right to take any picture you want in a public place. General rule of thumb is this: If your eye can see it in public, you can shoot it in public. Railroad Police are real bad about trying to stop you from shooting photography also. Good luck though, and great shots BTW!"

So, that's what I go by now. :)

Ampersand said...

Thanks, Sharon.

I feel better knowing that. Now I just wish I had not deleted the picture of the security guard. :)