Sunday, January 6, 2008

Local Wildlife 3 Livestock

The day after I visited all the geese at Lake Whetstone, I ventured out, down a new a different road, to find some more woods and creeks -- as I am wont to do.

Not more than a couple of miles down the road, I spotted a couple of sheep and a pony in a field. I passed it and then turned back, parking on the shoulder of the road, along the guardrail.

Feeling a bit tentative, wondering if I would get in trouble, like Billie did, I hurtled the guard rail put one leg tentatively over the guardrail and teetered down the slope to the fenced in field. As I approached, the pony watched me carefully and then began to walk toward me. (I wish I had a good shot of him approaching where I did not cut off his poor legs! But his expression was so cute that I had to post this one.)



When he (I think he, with the blue halter) got to the fence, he had his ears up and looked friendly so I extended my hand, palm up. He spooked a little and then kept some distance, all the while keeping a careful eye on me.



In the meantime, I went back to taking pictures of the sheep. (The gray shadow is from the wire fence.)



They grazed, apparently oblivious to me, until all of a sudden, the little one in the back picked up his head, spied me, ran straight for me, and stuck his head through the fence.



He wandered up and down the fence, peering through at me. He was so cute! And oh how I wanted to pet him, but I thought better of it.





I left, reluctant to say goodbye to my new friends, and the pony followed me all along the fence, to the corner, where we had to part ways.



I climbed back in in the car, and drove down the road, a better person for having made those new friends. And yes, I did find a cool creek and some more woods. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad that you survived your adventure. :-) And I **really** like the last photo of the sheep. Its expression is just priceless. It looks like it has something to tell you.

Sharon said...

I love that sheep.

Unknown said...

Love the sheep!!!